What is Test Automation- Types, Tools, and Benefits?
Test Automation is a software testing process designed to control the automation of test case execution and examine actual results with predicted outcomes. For instance, let’s say that you are performing test cases manually. The entire process becomes tedious and requires a lot of work to test each case separately.
But in the case of automation, writing and running the tests are predefined with the help of automation testing tools. This type of testing makes it less time-consuming and more cost-effective.
It is often used to automate monotonous tasks and tasks that are difficult to execute through manual testing. But how do we know what to automate? The answer is simple. High-risk tasks, repetitive tasks and tasks that require lots of work and time are mostly automated.
For any test automation to be successful, you must first have the money and resources capable of effectively running testing operations.
And with the proper testing tools, you will be able to write and execute test cases that provide improved Return on Investment (ROI). The main focus of automation is to reduce the amount of cost involved in testing and time.
1. Types of test automation
After learning about test automation, you might want to know more about the different types involved in test automation. You can automate any testing depending on the application run by the system. Here are some of the different types of automation testing.
a. Unit Testing
Unit testing is the first type of automation testing. It refers to the testing of individual components or units of a web application. Developers often write these tests, but there are certain exceptions where automation testers write unit tests. Moreover, this test is performed during the initial software development phase.
b. Smoke Testing
This type of testing is done to check whether the deployed build is stable or not. If the shape is unstable, it will be sent to the development team to sort out the problem. And in the case of a stable build, the testers will opt to process the application for further testing.
c. Functional Testing
The primary focus for functional testing is to examine and see if all web applications’ functions work as expected or not. This type of testing covers testing involving APIs, database, security, client or server applications, and the web app’s complete functionality.
d. Integration Testing
In this testing, the application modules are logically combined and tested as a group. It also analyses and establishes the data communication between different modules in the application.
e. Regression Testing
Regression testing refers to the testing that oversees and verifies the existing application functions well even with recent code changes. It means that the code works the same way it has done before making code changes.
Other types of automation testing include data-driven testing, black box testing, keyword testing, etc.
2. Test Automation Tools
Selecting the right testing tools has always been the most challenging part of automation testing. And with a wide range of testing tools available in the market now, choosing a device has become more complicated.
If you want to know how to choose the right tool for your business, you must first understand your software testing process requirements. Try and find UIs that are easy to use and implement.
Then check to see if the tool will be able to support all automated functions. So, let’s get into knowing and learning about the different types of testing tools.
Functionize is an intelligent testing platform that uses machine learning and AI to help people of all skill sets automate their tests. Functionize follows a “create once and run anywhere” approach that fits the needs of modern testing teams.
Some of the highlights of Functionize include:
- No code is required to create Functionize tests. Instead of coded scripts, Functionize using machine learning to make complex composite models of your application. As a result, Functionize difficulties can keep up with changes in your application autonomously through dynamic self-healing.
- The Functionize Test Cloud is included in your subscription, which allows you to run thousands of tests in parallel, across browsers, from different geographies. This will enable you to run tests at scale and run localized tests to mimic real users.
- Functionize tests can fit any end-to-end scenario, including examinations that need to make API calls, tests that involve two-factor authentication, tests that validate files, and much more!
Selenium is an automation testing tool that is used mainly for regression testing. This unique tool has a testing suite that comes with four different types of testing tools. And most importantly, it allows the testers to record and playback the regression tests any number of times.
The features for selenium include:
- Multiple browsers and Operating systems can run selenium as their testing tool.
- It is suitable for performing operations with every programming language and testing framework.
- It can run multiple functions at the same time.
- It can spot the element using id, name, X-path, etc.
It is one of the best testing tools available in the market that performs cross-browser testing for web applications. LambdaTest can help you run tests on 2000+ browsers, operating systems, and resolutions. It also offers a secure cloud-based selenium grid to automatically run your Selenium-based tests and cut short the overall test execution time.
Hither is any of the features of Lambda best.
The functionality to operate live interactive and automated cross-browser testing on 2000+ real browsers and operating systems.
- It gives its users a platform for easy web application testing.
- It auto-generates screenshots of webpages across multiple devices.
- It also helps you test and debugs websites faster with the desktop-based app ‘LT browser’.
d. Ranorex Studio
Ranorex Studio is a multi-purpose testing tool that benefits mobile, desktop and web application testing. It can automate functional UI tests, regression tests, data-driven tests, etc.
This particular testing tool has the click-and-go interface function that allows the testers to automate operations quickly with ease for better usability.
Some of the features of using Ranorex Studio are:
It has the automation ability to operate functional UI testing and end-to-end test for mobile, desktop, and web applications.
- It creates a safe environment for cross-browser testing.
- It also has reliable object identification capabilities.
- Ranorex works and integrates well with tools like Jira, Jenkins, TestRail, CI, Travis, etc.
Some of the features for TestComplete are:
- It supports a wide range of web applications such as .Net, Native, Hybrid, etc.
- With this testing tool, regression, parallel, and cross-browser testing are possible.
- It has automated UI testing that covers you from the device cloud to packaged applications.
- It also performs GUI object recognition.
Experitest is an automation testing tool that uses mobile and cross-browser testing to attain your business’s best possible outcomes. It gives you the option to runs tests over 2000+ real browsers and mobile devices. Besides that, it has excellent features to run tests on multiple platforms.
The features include:
- It creates and runs Appium, Selenium, XCUITest and Espresso tests
- against 2,000+ real mobile devices and web browsers.
- It allows automated tests directly from your IDE with Appium Studio plugins for IntelliJ and Eclipse.
- It can perform and execute tests on a larger scale efficiently.
- It consolidates all digital test results to gain end-to-end quality insights.
g. Katalon Studio
Katalon Studio is an example of the standard famous testing tools that use API, mobile and web application testing. It integrates with test automation features for better performance and works well with macOS, Windows, and Linux platforms. It is also considered as the all-in-one automation solution.
- Here are some of the features for Katalon Studio.
- It offers a unique integrated UI for testers to perform their tasks effortlessly.
- It has a productive IDE to generate automated tests quickly.
- It also has built-in project templates with test case libraries, keywords, and object repositories.
- This tool even has an advanced debugger that helps speed up ad hoc inspection and alteration of variables, codes, or other aspects of the runtime environment.
h. QMetry Automation Studio
QMetry Automation Studio is known as the unified test automation for web and mobile services. It provides scalable test automation that enables an easy transition from manual to automated testing.
It also utilizes open-source test automation frameworks like Selenium and Appium to deliver structure, efficiency and reusability.
Some of the features for this testing tool are:
- It ensures the reusability and shareability of test cases.
- It executes tests in parallel mode, providing quick and efficient testing.
- It also allows for seamless integration with test management tools and other ALM tools.
3. Benefits of Test Automation
Test automation has several advantages when it comes to usage in comparison to manual testing. Some of the benefits of test automation are:
- It increases the speed of the testing cycle with automated runs.
- The time taken for test execution is reduced exponentially.
- When in operation, the test coverage for each testing cycle is increased.
- It does not require any script updates when changes are made on the code or application.
- It generates faster test scripts, making it less time-consuming.
- Regression testing time is reduced tremendously.
- The test accuracy is increased compared to manual testing.
- It has the function of breaking down more extensive processes into smaller compartments for later use.
- It can generate faster Return On Investments (ROI).
- Up to 80% of the QA cycle, time is reduced during automation.
- The overall QA cost will drop to 60% most of the time.
- It increases the profitability and scalability of the company.
- It also reduces the time and cost of operation.
4. Final Words
We have covered a lot about test automation today. We have learned about the different types of test automation, the required testing tools needed for operation and even some of its advantages. The one point to take from all this is that automation can differentiate what it can offer to its users.
- Ads (5)
- Animes (25)
- Artificial Intelligence (AI) (29)
- Augmented Reality (AR) (8)
- Automotive (8)
- Bitcoin (15)
- Blockchain (19)
- Business (231)
- Business Intelligence (2)
- Cloud Computing (20)
- Computer (121)
- Cryptocurrency (8)
- Cybersecurity (28)
- Data Science (9)
- Database (3)
- DevOps (5)
- Digital Marketing (68)
- Digital Workplace (13)
- Ecommerce (1)
- Education (27)
- Electric Vehicle (EV) (1)
- Electronics & Hardware (15)
- Entertainment (41)
- Fabrication (3)
- Finance & Marketing (42)
- Gadgets (34)
- Games (8)
- Gear (29)
- Industry (36)
- Information Technology (80)
- Internet (394)
- Internet of Things (IoT) (40)
- Job (24)
- Machine Learning (2)
- Marketing (80)
- Mobile Apps (19)
- Movies (11)
- Natural Language Processing (4)
- News & Trends (90)
- Programming (1)
- Science & Technology (212)
- Security (65)
- SEO (49)
- Services (31)
- Social Media (64)
- Software (85)
- Sports (1)
- Technology (265)
- Telecom (6)
- TikTok (5)
- Tours & Travels (8)
- Uncategorized (11)
- Virtual Reality (VR) (6)
- VoIP (4)
- Web Technology (35)
- Workforce (15)
- Workspace (4)